주요메뉴 바로가기 본문 바로가기

주메뉴

IBS Conferences
President's Welcome Address at Opening Ceremony of Science Culture Center 게시판 상세보기
Title President's Welcome Address at Opening Ceremony of Science Culture Center
Department President Registration Date 2019-12-10 Hits 2132
att.  

Welcome Address by President NOH Do Young

As Prepared for Delivery

Tuesday 10 December 2019

IBS Science Culture Center

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I’d like to express my deepest gratitude to all the guests who are attending this opening ceremony of the IBS Science Culture Center.

IBS has worked closely with the Ministry of Science and ICT and Daejeon City to build this complex with a budget of approximately KRW 20 billion. The Science Culture Center is a three-story building, which sits on a total floor area of about 6,800 square meters. We are able to celebrate the opening of this Center thanks to the Ministry and the City, which provided financial support and rent-free land, respectively. Taking this opportunity, I’d like to offer my sincere thanks to all relevant institutions and their staff for making this happen.

The IBS Science Culture Center is a complex where visitors can see, learn, and experience science firsthand.

The first floor consists of Science Library, Outreach Hall, and Exhibition Hall. The Science Library holds over 20,000 titles, including science books, general books, and digital materials. The Outreach Hall showcases the outstanding research outcomes of IBS researchers while the Exhibition Hall hosts a variety of exhibits that display the unique beauty of science.

The Auditorium where you are sitting now and conference rooms on the second floor, and rest space on the third floor are expected to cater to the scientific and cultural needs of the public.

Since construction was completed in December 2017, various talks and exhibits have been held at this facility. We have also prepared an assortment of events to celebrate this opening.

The fifth Art in Science, IBS’ signature outreach program, will kick off today under the title “Scientists’ Eyes: Observation and Imagination.” IBS scientists brought a touch of imagination into their daily observations to create artworks for the annual exhibition.

Tomorrow, we will host a talk entitled “An Encounter Between a Writer and a Scientist.” KIM Hoon, the bestselling author of Kalui Norae (A Song of a Sword, 칼의 노래) and Namhan sanseong (The Fortress, 남한산성), will share his insights with Director CHANG Sukbok of the Center for Catalytic Hydrocarbon Functionalizations serving as the host.

More events will be held here this month, including Science Talks in which scientists meet ordinary citizens at their local libraries. Also, Director Axel TIMMERMANN of the Center for Climate Physics will give a public lecture titled “The Secret of Global Warming.” Your interest and participation will be highly appreciated.

The Science Culture Center will be a platform where science and culture interact, spreading the culture of science. IBS will continue to make efforts to create various opportunities for scientists and the general public to communicate and exchange their ideas and thoughts.

Although this facility will be available only during weekdays for a while, we are planning to expand its operation to weekends and holidays so that more people can experience and enjoy science.

I’d like to conclude my remarks by thanking everyone who has worked so hard to make this opening possible. My appreciation also goes to all the guests for honoring this ceremony with their presence. Thank you.

Research

Are you satisfied with the information on this page?

Content Manager
Public Relations Team : Suh, William Insang   042-878-8137
Last Update 2023-11-28 14:20