2023 Call for IBS Young Scientist Fellowship
1. IBS Young Scientist Fellowship
With the vision of “Making discoveries for humanity and society,” the Institute for Basic Science (IBS) was founded in 2011 by the Korean government to promote basic science in Korea. To date, IBS operates two institute and 33 Research Centers which have been yielding outstanding results in various research fields.
The IBS Young Scientist Fellowship started in 2016 to play an active role in fostering the next generation of basic science leaders. This Fellowship offers junior scientists opportunities to conduct independent research with state-of-the-art research infrastructure of IBS and to grow on the basis of research collaborations with leading researchers.
We hope that the Fellowship serves as a stepping stone for our researchers to mature into leading researchers in basic science.
- Within seven years of obtaining a Ph.D. (obtained no earlier than 1 January 2016) or under the age of 40 with a Ph.D. (born no earlier than 1 January 1983)
- Ph.D. candidates must be conferred with a Ph.D. degree no later than 31 August 2023.
- Current IBS researchers are eligible to apply if they meet the above criteria.
3. Hiring Research Centers
Hiring Research Centers and Number of Openings
||Mathematical andComputational Sciences (Pioneer Research Center)
||Biomedical Mathematics Group
KRW 180 mil./year
|Extremal Combinatorics and Probability Group
|Geometry and Physics
||Theoretical Physics of the Universe
||Particle Theory and Cosmology Group
KRW 300 mil./year
(up to KRW 180 mil.for theoretical fields)
|Exotic Nuclear Studies*
|Epitaxial van der Waals Quantum Solids
||Multidimensional Carbon Materials
|Catalytic Hydrocarbon Functionalizations
||Cognition and Sociality
||Soft and Living Matter
Note: The final number of openings may change depending on the circumstances of IBS.
*Exotic Nuclear Studies : Available to apply for both Experimental physics and Theoretical physics Field
4. Benefits and Conditions
- Full-time work and 100% research participation in principle
- If successful candidates for the Fellowship are selected for other projects (e.g., Sejong Science Fellowship and Young Researcher Program of the National Research Foundation), their selection as Young Scientist Fellows (YSFs) may be cancelled. During the Fellowship term, participating in other projects funded by sources outside IBS are not allowed.
- Annual fund of KRW 150–300 mil. (up to KRW 180 mil. for theoretical fields and up to KRW 300 mil. for experimental fields), including salary of KRW 60–70 mil.
- YSFs will work at one of the IBS Centers and conduct independent research with research facilities and equipment of their Center. YSFs may organize small research groups.
- YSFs should prioritize using the advanced research infrastructure of their Center in conducting research. Although they may construct research equipment and facilities within their budget, the construction scale and timing may be adjusted through review.
- Appointment for three years with a possible two-year extension depending on the performance review results
- When current IBS researchers are selected as a YSF of their Center, support will be offered for up to three years.
- Successful candidates must be appointed and commence their research within the first half of 2024 (1 January–30 June 2024).
- If their appointment and research commencement are not completed within 2024, their selection may be cancelled.
- When the Center(PRC Group) to which a YSF group belongs is closed, the YSF group will also be closed in principle.
- Please refer to the FAQ for details.
5. Selection Process (The schedule may change depending on the circumstances of IBS.)
- First phase: Letter of intent (approx. three pages) acceptance and evaluation
- 1. Submission deadline: 12 June 2023
- 2. Review of each letter of intent by the director and the selection and evaluation panel concerned
- 3. Invitation to submit full research proposals: July 2023
- Applicants who pass the first phase will be requested to submit an approx. 10-page full research proposal, up to three reference letters and presentation materials.
- Second phase: Full research proposal acceptance and in-depth evaluation by field
- 1. Submission deadline: August 2023
- 2. Review of each full proposal and reference letter by the director concerned
- 3. Interview (on-site presentation) by the selection and evaluation panel concerned: September~October 2023
- If candidates reside abroad or have difficulty attending on site, the evaluation will be held via video conference.
- Third phase: Comprehensive evaluation and notification of the results
- 1. Comprehensive evaluation by panel chairs
- 2. Final selection and notification of the results: November 2023