Call for Applications for Associate Director Positions of “Center for Nanoparticle Research” in the Institute for Basic Science (IBS)
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a government-funded research institute founded in November 2011 with the purpose of driving forward the development of basic science in South Korea through large-scale, long-term, group research. IBS is currently operating Research Centers in mathematics, physics, chemistry, life sciences, earth science and interdisciplinary sciences.
IBS invites applicants for the position of Associate Director who are senior-level researchers with high research potentials, and are able to run his or her own research group in collaboration with the directors within their Research Centers.
1. Introduction of the research center
- Over last two decades, many scientists have studied various novel methods to synthesize uniform nanoparticles in shapes and sizes and to control their properties. Besides those studies, huge efforts to apply nanomaterials in various fields have been made based on marvelous technological advances in the nanomaterial synthesis and assembly. As a result, nanomaterials play a significant role in electrochemistry, photoelectrochemistry, and various energy devices.
- The goal of Center for Nanoparticle Research (CNR) is to make a paradigm shift in nanotechnology by applying uniform nanoparticles and their assembly. The goal would be fulfilled by promoting interdisciplinary research in electrochemistry and energy devices and developing novel optimized systems based on nanotechnology. The top-notch research teams at the Center focus on the development of soft bio-integrated devices to realize a remote patient monitoring for personalized treatment. Another research focus is to apply device technologies in clinical medicine. The Center for Nanoparticle Research will establish itself as a center for world-class research in the field of nanomaterials and their applications to electrochemistry, energy, electronics, and clinical medicine.
- (for more information) http://nanomat.ibs.re.kr
2. Job description
- Associate directors will serve important roles in assisting the founding director to achieve goals of CNR as well as directing his or her own research group within the center. The specific fields of research solicited for the associate director are (i) characterization of atomic structure and functional relationship of nanoparticles, (ii) mechanistic studies of nanoparticle growth and phase transitions, and (iii) development of advanced in situ microscopic techniques. Applicants should have strong records of (i) scholarly achievement at the national and international level, (ii) funding for interdisciplinary-based research, and (iii) evidence of leadership capability in his/her research field. The candidates are expected to have experience managing a large research group and/or program in an academic institution (or equivalent agency or institute aiming at state-of-the-art researches) and be able to articulate a strong vision to further the research and outreach programs in CNR.
3. Requirements for the position
- Research Areas for the Position:
Characterization of atomic structure and functional relationship of nanoparticles / Mechanistic studies of nanoparticle growth and phase transitions / Development of advanced in situ microscopic techniques
- All candidates must be able to commit themselves completely in the long-term to IBS research activities.
- All candidates must be able to manage their respective research groups.
- The candidate should have a Ph.D. in chemistry, materials science, biology, medicine or related fields
- The candidate should be recognized as one of leaders in the international community of his or her research field.
- The candidate should be fluent enough with the relevant scientific and policy issues to be a highly credible representative of the Center among audiences ranging from the general public to the uppermost levels of scientists and policy-makers. The position calls for vision, breadth, and good judgment; proven intellectual leadership skills; a keen sense of public policy, as well as demonstrated financial and staff management experience.
- The candidates must have the ability to work independently while integrating themselves effectively into a teamwork environment. Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills, both oral and written, are therefore essential.
- Authority to run his/her own research team in collaboration with the director
- Sizable independent research budget
5. General Selection Procedure
- ①Recruitment of applicants by public advertisement
- ②Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
- ③Symposium and in-depth interview by in-depth evaluation panel
- ④Decision by the SEC(Selection & Evaluation Committee) about recommendation
- ⑤Negotiation with director
- ⑥Appointment by the president
6. Application Submission
- Please fill out the ‘Application Form’ in English and email it as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 13.
- E-mail title needs to be “Applicant name_Center name”
[ Contact Information ]
Soyeon Yoon, Center for Nanoparticle Research
LEE Juyoung, Research Evaluation Team
Division of Research Services
Institute for Basic Science
(34126) 55, Expo-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, Korea
* For more information, please visit IBS website (https://www.ibs.re.kr).
Application Form for IBS Associate Directorial Positions(2022)