2024-3 Recruitment Announcement for Postdoctoral Research Associate Position at the Center for
The center for underground physics (CUP) at Institute for Basic Science (IBS, https://www.ibs.re.kr/eng.do) in
Korea invites applications for a postdoctoral research associate position in the field of dark matter and
neutrino physics. The successful applicant will work with Dr. Koun Choi on the Super-Kamiokande (SK) and other
Water Cherenkov Detectors including the Water Cherenkov Test Experiment (WCTE).
The IBS, located in Daejeon, South Korea, is a government-funded research institute that conducts basic science
researches and relevant pure basic researches. The CUP hosts dark matter and neutrino physics experiments such
as AMORE-II and COSINE-100, also participates in several other experiments such as SK. The position is funded
with Young Scientist Fellowship program "Direct and indirect detection searches of sub-GeV dark matter signal in
the Super-Kamiokande and future Water Cherenkov Detectors" (FY 2021~2026).
A Successful candidate is expected to take a leading role in R&D and calibration efforts for future Water
Cherenkov Detectors. In particular, the candidate is expected to design and run an ex-situ experiment at IBS to
measure optical properties of materials used in the detectors, and improve the Geant4 simulation accordingly.
The candidate will also contribute to the development and subsequent application of analysis methods to various
dark matter searches. The main tasks include identification of dark matter signal using deep learning technique
and Geant4 simulation. Frequent travels to ICRR’s Kamioka Observatory, occasional travels to CERN is foreseen.
|Number of openings
|Postdoctoral Research Associate
|dark matter and neutrino physics
|- Degree : Doctoral degree (Those who do not exceed 5years after obtaining doctoral degree, or those who are expected to obtain a doctoral degree within 3 months from the appointment start date (June 16th , 2024))
- Major : Experimental nuclear physics, or other related field.
Programming and good communication skills in English
Experiences with neutrino and dark matter physics, statistical methods, data analysis and Monte Carlo simulations
|Center for Underground Physics
- ※ No applicants may be hired if there are no applicants deemed qualified during the screening process. Please refer to the job description (attached) for details such as job category, job duties, and preferences, etc.
- ※ The appointment date is negotiable for successful candidates, however the appointment offer may be withdrawn if successful candidates cannot make it to the starting date by September 16, 2024.
- ○ Research Position Job Description
(Postdoctoral Research Associate) Conduct research while at the same time receiving postdoctoral training for a certain period of time to deepen their understanding of a field and develop a distinctive research capability. Available for individuals who are within the first five years after obtaining their Ph.D. or to be obtained within 3 months from the appointment start date. Employment can be renewed only once and the total appointed term is up to 3 years
※ Note: In case of the Center’s closure during employment, the employment contract will be terminated accordingly.
- Required qualifications:
- • Must be in compliance with the requirements for appointments as specified in Article 33 of the State
Public Officials Act and IBS statutes.
- Preferred qualifications:
- • Individuals with disabilities as defined in Articles 3 and 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Act on the
Employment Promotion and Vocational Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities, or individuals eligible for
employment assistance as defined in Article 29 of the Act on the Honorable Treatment of and Support for
Persons, Etc. of Distinguished Service to the State (additional points will be given during the
- • Women in science, engineering and technology as defined in Article 2 of the Act on Fostering and
Supporting Women Scientists and Technicians
□ Screening Process
|Suitability for the position and for the field of work, excellence of the applicant’s research achievements, overall research activities, proposed research plan, etc.
|Approximately 5 times the number of applicants than the number of vacancies will be selected for the interview in order of the highest scores with the minimum average score of 80.
|Curriculum vitae (CV), a brief research statement, a list of publications, Two recommendation letters or more*, Consent to Collection and Use of Personal Information / Application for the IBS
|Expertise in their field, attitude and communication skills, presentation skills, excellence of their research, development potential and prospect, etc.
|Final candidates will be selected in order of the highest scores with the minimum average score of 80.
※ The procedure allows for a successful candidate and up to two additional waiting list candidates per opening in accordance with the scores
|There can be additional required documents according to the situation at the center
- * References letters must be sent to email@example.com from the writers and any letters from the applicants will not be accepted.
□ Application Submission and Deadline
- 〇 How to apply: Submit the documents below via e-mail at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- a brief research statement
- a list of publications
- Two reference letters or more*
- Consent to Collection and Use of Personal Information / Application for IBS (attached)
* References letters must be sent to email@example.com from the writers and any letters from the applicants will not be accepted.
- 〇 Deadline for application submission: February 2nd 2024~March 29th 2024 (24:00) KST
※ E-mail Title : [2024-3 CUP] YYY←Applicant’s name
e.g., [2024-3 CUP]Hong Gil-dong
□ Other Information
- 〇 The revised guidelines of the Ministry of Employment and Labor, and the Ministry of Economy and Finance (revision on 3 Nov. 2022, implementation on 1 Jan. 2023) have allowed a flexible application of the blind hiring policy to secure excellent researchers, thereby broadening the scope of information to be collected (e.g., academic background, schools, period spent on obtaining degrees, reference letters [including referees’ information] and experience). However, personal information that can identify the applicant (e.g., gender and age) is still not collected
- 〇 CUP, IBS is an Equal Opportunity or Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Any biased information will not be provided to committees at all.
- 〇 Applicants will be responsible for any consequences of making mistakes, missing information or not submitting required documentation in their applications. If any information is found to be incorrect or false, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 Submitted documents may be returned when a request is made within three months from the announcement of the final result in accordance with Article 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- 〇 If candidates are disqualified due to a background check or a physical examination result, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 If candidates are found to be former public officials dismissed for corruption as set forth in Article 82 of the Act on the Prevention of Corruption and the Establishment of the Anti-corruption and Civil Rights Commission, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 No applicants may be hired if there are no applicants deemed qualified during the screening process.
- 〇 If hired, the job category/grade and annual salary will be determined in accordance with IBS rules and regulations.
- 〇 Successful candidates are expected to start on June 16th, 2024 (subject to change).
※ The appointment date is negotiable for successful candidates, however the appointment offer may be withdrawn if successful candidates cannot make it to the starting date by September 16, 2024.
- 〇 For questions regarding the position and the research, candidates are encouraged to contact Dr. Koun Choi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 〇 For questions regarding recruitment process are encouraged to contact CUP recruit manager(email@example.com)