2023-1 Recruitment Announcement for Research positions at the Discrete Mathematics Group
The IBS Discrete Mathematics Group (DIMAG) in Daejeon, Korea invites applications for three research fellowship positions (Senior researcher positions).
DIMAG is a research group that was established on December 1, 2018 at the Institute for Basic Science (IBS), led by Prof. Sang-il Oum. DIMAG is located at the headquarters of the Institute for Basic Science (IBS) in Daejeon, South Korea, a city of 1.5 million people.
Website : https://dimag.ibs.re.kr/
Currently, DIMAG consists of researchers from various countries such as Korea, the USA, Germany, Canada, and Australia, and the work is done in English. DIMAG is co-located with the IBS Extremal Combinatorics and Probability Group (ECOPRO).
Successful candidates for research fellowship positions will be new or recent Ph.D.’s with outstanding research potential in all fields of discrete mathematics with emphasis on structural graph theory, combinatorial optimization, matroid theory, and algorithms.
These appointments are for about two years, and the starting salary is no less than KRW 59,000,000. The appointment is one-time renewable up to 5 years in total contingent upon the outstanding performance of the researcher. The expected appointment date is September 1, 2024. (but it is negotiable within the same calendar year.) These are purely research positions and will have no teaching duties.
□ Recruitment Area and Openings
채용분야 및 인원
|- Degree: Doctoral degree
(expected to be obtained before appointment date)
- Major: Research field related with discrete mathematics
|Discrete Mathematics Group
※ The final number of appointees may change according to the screening results and please refer to the job description for more detailed information on the work duties/responsibilities and qualifications.
□ Qualifications and Preferences
- [Required qualifications]
- ● Must be in compliance with the requirements for appointments as specified in Article 33 of the State Public Officials Act and IBS statutes.
- ● If candidates are found to be former public officials dismissed for corruption as set forth in Article 82 of the Act on the Prevention of Corruption and the Establishment of the Anti-corruption and Civil Rights Commission, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- ● Must have no restrictions traveling overseas. Male applicants must have completed or be exempted from compulsory military service.
※ 전문연구요원 종사를 희망하는 경우에는 지원 의사와 병역 관계를 cover letter 및 이메일 등에 표시하여 제출 필요. 다만 현역입영대상자의 전문연구요원 신규 편입은 불가하며, 보충역 대상자 및 타 기관에서 전직해서 오는 경우에 한하여 지원 가능(반드시 타 기관에서 전직 요건이 충족되는 등 전직 요건이 충족 되어야만 함)
- • Must meet the requirements by the end of the application deadline.
- [Preferred qualifications]
- ● Individuals with disabilities as defined in Articles 3 and 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Act on the
Employment Promotion and Vocational Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities, or individuals eligible for
employment assistance as defined in Article 29 of the Act on the Honorable Treatment of and Support for
Persons, Etc. of Distinguished Service to the State (additional points will be given during the
- - 5 additional points for those who submit the certificate of disabilities
- - 5-10 additional points for those who submit the certificate of employment protection for the national war
- ● Women in science, engineering and technology as defined in Article 2 of the Act on Fostering and
Supporting Women Scientists and Technicians
※ Apply the highest additional points across all preferences.
□ Screening Process
||~ December 20, 2023
||∘ Review items: Relevance to the recruitment area, expertise in research achievement, work capability, development potential, etc.
∘ Eligibility: Applicants who have met the required qualification
∘ Select up to seven times the number of candidates than open positions for the next screening step. Select applicants with the highest average scores (minimum average score: 80).
||~ January 5, 2024
||∘ Review items: Expertise in the recruitment area, presentation skill, attitude, problem solving skills, development potential, fluency in foreign languages(English), etc.
∘ Eligibility: Applicants who pass the document screening
∘ Select the final candidates with the highest average scores (minimum average score: 80) within the number of openings.
∘ Select up to three times the number of candidates than open positions for the waiting list.
※ When the applicants are not competent enough, the IBS may select the final candidates less than the number of openings.
||September 1, 2024
||∘ If necessary, the appointment date can be adjusted.
※ However, the appointment offer may be withdrawn if the successful candidates cannot make it with the same calendar year.
※ The interview can be conducted in video interview according to the research group’s circumstances.
※ The schedule above may be subject to change according to the research group’s circumstances.
※ There can be additional required documents for successful candidates.
□ Required Documents
|1 AMS standard cover sheet or cover letter
2. Curriculum vitae including a list of publications and preprints (PDF format)
3. Research statement (PDF format)
4. At least 3 recommendation letters
※ letters forwarded by an applicant will not be considered
5. Consent to Collection and Use of Personal Information (attached)
& Application for the institute for Basic Science (attached)
6. Supporting documents for persons with disabilities or eligible for veterans’ benefit (if applicable)
|※ There can be additional required documents according to the situation at the group
□ Term of employment contract
- 〇 (Senior researcher) will be eligible to renew employment contract once after the initial term and the total employment period is up to five years.
※ In case of the Group’s closure during employment, the employment contract will be terminated accordingly.
□ Application Submission and Deadline
- 〇 How to apply : Submit your AMS standard cover sheet or cover letter, CV(include list of publications), Research statement, three recommendation letters, and application for the IBS & consent form, and via e-mail at email@example.com
* Recommendations letters forwarded by an applicant will not be considered
- 〇 E-mail Title for applicants: [DIMAG – YYY (name)]
- 〇 Open and closing dates : September 18, 2023 – December 3, 2023 (anywhere on earth)
- 〇 Please kindly note that if your application musses to submit a part of
required documents including recommendation letters by the deadline,
your application shall not be accepted.
□ Other Information
- 〇 The revised guidelines of the Ministry of Employment and Labor, and the Ministry of Economy and Finance (revision on 3 Nov. 2022, implementation on 1 Jan. 2023) have allowed a flexible application of the blind hiring policy to secure excellent researchers, thereby broadening the scope of information to be collected (e.g., academic background, schools, period spent on obtaining degrees, reference letters [including referees’ information] and experience). However, personal information that can identify the applicant (e.g., gender and age) is still not collected.
- 〇 DIMAG, IBS is an Equal Opportunity or Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Any biased information will not be provided to committees at all.
- 〇 Applicants will be fully responsible for any consequences of making mistakes, missing information or not submitting required documentation in their applications. If any information is found to be incorrect or false, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 Submitted documents may be returned when a request is made within three months from the announcement of the final result in accordance with Article 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- 〇 If candidates are disqualified due to a background check or a physical examination result, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 If candidates are found to be former public officials dismissed for corruption as set forth in Article 82 of the Act on the Prevention of Corruption and the Establishment of the Anti-corruption and Civil Rights Commission, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 No applicants may be hired if there are no applicants deemed qualified during the screening process.
- 〇 If hired, the job category/grade and annual salary will be determined in accordance with IBS rules and regulations.
- 〇 Successful candidates are expected to start on September 1, 2024
* Appointment schedule may change according to the group’s circumstances.
- 〇 Workplace: Discrete Mathematics Group, IBS HQ, Daejeon
- 〇 Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org