2022-1 Recruitment Announcement for Research Positions at the Extremal Combinatorics and Probability Group
The Extremal Combinatorics and Probability Group (ECOPRO) at the Institute for Basic Science (IBS) in Daejeon, South Korea, invites applications for research positions.
ECOPRO is a new research group that launched in April 1, 2022 at IBS, led by Prof. Hong Liu. We welcome highly motivated researchers with outstanding research potential in all fields of combinatorics with emphasis on extremal and probabilistic combinatorics, graph theory, Ramsey theory, combinatorial number theory and discrete geometry.
Websites: ECOPRO, https://www.ibs.re.kr/ecopro/
Related group: Discrete Mathematics Group (DIMAG), led by Prof. Sang-il Oum https://dimag.ibs.re.kr/
We plan to hire researchers in the following two categories.
The Senior Researcher positions are available for individuals who have research experience for 5 years or more after their Ph. D. The appointment is initially for two years and can be extended for three more years after reviews of the research performance.
The Postdoctoral Research Associate positions are available for individuals within the first five years after obtaining their Ph.D. at the date of appointment or expecting to obtain a Ph.D. within three months from the date pf appointment. This appointment is for 2 years with possible 1-year extension contingent upon the outstanding performance of the researcher.
The starting salary is no less than 57,000,000 KRW. This is a purely research position and will have no teaching duties.
The appointment starting date is February 1, 2023, but it is negotiable.
The deadline for application is June 20, 2022.
Informal inquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Inquiries about recruitment process can be sent to email@example.com
□ Recruitment Area and Openings
Recruitment Area and Openings
||No. of Openings
|Extremal Combinatorics and Probability Group
|Extremal and probabilistic combinatorics, discrete geometry
||- Degree: Doctoral degree
- Major: related to the recruitment area.
- Preference: Research experience in the recruitment area
|Postdoctoral Research Associate
||- Degree: Doctoral degree (obtained within recent 5 years or to be obtained within 3 months from the appointment start date)
- Major: related to the recruitment area.
[Senior researcher] will be eligible to renew employment contract once after the initial term and the total employment period is up to five years. Also, they may be promoted to a Senior Research Fellow through a separate evaluation.
[Postdoctoral Research Associate] Conduct research while at the same time receiving postdoctoral training for a certain period of time to deepen their understanding of a field and develop a distinctive research capability. Available for individuals who are within the first five years after obtaining their Ph.D. Appointed for a term of up to three years.
※ Those who apply for these positions should submit the certificate of Ph.D and/or proof of Ph.D award before the starting date (at the latest June 1, 2023). Without the actual certificate of the Ph.D, employment and the visa will not be able to be approved.
※ In case of the Group’s closure during employment, the employment contract will be terminated accordingly.
□ Qualifications and Preferences
- [General qualifications]
- • Those who are qualified under Article 33 of the State Public Officials Act and IBS regulations
- • Those who completed mandatory military service or exempt from such service, and permitted to travel abroad
- • Additional points for persons with disabilities under Articles 3 and 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Act on the Employment Promotion and Vocational Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities, or persons eligible for employment assistance under Article 29 of the Act on the Honorable Treatment of and Support for Persons, Etc. of Distinguished Service to the State.
- • Those who are “women in science, engineering and technology” under Article 2 of the Act on Fostering and Supporting Women Scientists and Technicians
□ Screening process
|Relevance to the recruitment area, expertise, work capability, development potential, etc.
||Select five times the number of candidates than open positions for the next screening step.
Select applicants with the highest average scores
(minimum average score: 80).
|1) AMS standard cover sheet (preferred) or cover letter
2) Curriculum vitae including a publication list
3) Research statement
4) Consent to Collection and Use of Personal Information
5) At least 3 recommendation letters*
|Expertise in the recruitment area, presentation skill, attitude, problem solving skills, development potential, fluency in foreign languages (English), etc.
||Number of vacancies will be selected for the interview in order of the highest scores with the minimum average score of 80. The procedure allows for a successful candidate and up to three additional waiting list candidates per opening in accordance with the scores
||※ There can be additional required documents according to the situation at the group
- * Recommendation letters should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org directly from the letter writers
□ Application Submission and Period
- 〇 Applicants should email following item 1, 2, 3 and 4, and arrange their recommendation letters emailed to email@example.com. Recommendations letters forwarded by an applicant will not be considered
- 1. AMS standard cover sheet (preferred) or cover letter (PDF)
- 2. Curriculum vitae including a publication list (PDF)
- 3. Research statement (PDF)
- 4. Consent to Collection and Use of Personal Information (attached, PDF)
- 5. At least 3 recommendation letters
- ※ E-mail Title: [2022-1 Applying for research position at the IBS] XXX (applying position) - YYY (applicant’s name)
- 〇 Open and closing dates: April 20, 2022 ~ June 20, 2022, until 24:00 KST
□ Other Information
- 〇 Blind hiring process will be implemented to reduce the risk of bias in the hiring decision and block out any and all identification details from candidate's resume and applications.
- 〇 Applicants will be responsible for any consequences of making mistakes, missing information or not submitting required documentation in their applications. If any information is found to be incorrect or false, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 Submitted documents may be returned when a request is made within three months from the announcement of the final result in accordance with Article 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- 〇 If candidates are disqualified due to a background check or a physical examination result, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 If candidates are found to be former public officials dismissed for corruption as set forth in Article 82 of the Act on the Prevention of Corruption and the Establishment of the Anti-corruption and Civil Rights Commission, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 No applicants may be hired if there are no applicants deemed qualified during the screening process.
- 〇 If hired, the job category/grade and annual salary will be determined in accordance with IBS rules and regulations.
- 〇 Successful candidates are expected to start on February 1, 2023 (negotiable).
- 〇 Workplace: Extremal Combinatorics and Probability Group (IBS HQ, Daejeon)
- 〇 Inquiries: Su-dong Park at +82-42-878-8105 or firstname.lastname@example.org