2024-1 Recruitment Announcement for Postdoctoral Research Associate Positions at the Center for Exotic Nuclear Studies
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a national research institute established in accordance with Article 14 of the Special Act on Establishment of and Support for International Science and Business Belt. IBS aims to advance the frontiers of knowledge and drive the development of future technologies through world-class basic science research.
Founded in December 2019, the IBS Center for Exotic Nuclear Studies (CENS) carries out experiments on nuclear astrophysics, nuclear structure and nuclear reaction using rare isotope accelerators overseas. CENS also has a theory group to carry out independent research and support its experimental efforts. In the near future, the Center will also conduct research that can best utilize a rare isotope accelerator complex in Korea, named Rare isotope Accelerator complex for ON line experiments (RAON). Furthermore, CENS is working to develop state-of-the-art detectors for research on structures and reactions of exotic nuclei, measurement of nuclear reactions in explosive stellar events, discovery of new rare isotopes, and exotic nuclear physics experiments.
CENS is seeking creative, dynamic candidates to join the Center and lead experiments on exotic nuclei.
채용분야 및 인원
|Number of openings
|Postdoctoral Research Associate(Ph.D.)
|Experimental nuclear physics, or other related field.
- Degree : Doctoral degree (Those who do not exceed 5years after obtaining doctoral degree, or those who are expected to obtain a doctoral degree within 3 months from the appointment start date (May 1st , 2024))
- Major : Experimental nuclear physics, or other related field.
- Desired qualifications
• Experience in simulation of detectors used in nuclear and particle physics
• Experience in data analysis using common tools such as ROOT
• Experience in maintenance of semiconductor detectors; HPGe detectors in particular
• Capable communication skills in English
• Extensive knowledge of experimental nuclear physics
|Center for Exotic Nuclear Studies (Daejeon, HQ)
※ No applicants may be hired if there are no applicants deemed qualified during the screening process. Please refer to the job description (attached) for details such as job category, job duties, and preferences, etc.
※ The appointment date is negotiable for successful candidates, however the appointment offer may be withdrawn if successful candidates cannot make it to the starting date by August 1, 2024.
Research Position Job Description
(Postdoctoral Research Associate) Conduct research while at the same time receiving postdoctoral training for a certain period of time to deepen their understanding of a field and develop a distinctive research capability. Available for individuals who are within the first five years after obtaining their Ph.D. or to be obtained within 3 months from the appointment start date. Employment can be renewed only once and the total appointed term is up to 3 years
※ Note: In case of the Center’s closure during employment, the employment contract will be terminated accordingly.
CENS in IBS launched a project “Studies for the weak interaction: precision frontier of nuclear and particle physics” last year. The study aims to understand physics Beyond the Standard Model (BSM) from weak interaction. The successful candidate will characterize the coaxial HPGe detectors equipped in the institution to prepare a superallowed beta-decay branching ratio measurement at the new facility RAON and/or elsewhere. This position also provides an opportunity to join the experiments related to precision physics and structure of proton-/ neutron-rich nuclei at ISOLDE-CERN and INFN Legnaro in Italy. Travels to the facilities are foreseen in the near future. Furthermore, participating in other RAON physics programs is expected.
- Required qualifications:
- ● Must be in compliance with the requirements for appointments as specified in Article 33 of the State Public Officials Act and IBS statutes.
- Preferred qualifications:
- ● Individuals with disabilities as defined in Articles 3 and 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Act on the Employment Promotion and Vocational Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities, or individuals eligible for employment assistance as defined in Article 29 of the Act on the Honorable Treatment of and Support for Persons, Etc. of Distinguished Service to the State (additional points will be given during the screening/evaluation process)
- ● Women in science, engineering and technology as defined in Article 2 of the Act on Fostering and Supporting Women Scientists and Technicians
|Suitability for the position and for the field of work, excellence of the applicant’s research achievements, overall research activities, proposed research plan, etc.
|Approximately 5 times the number of applicants than the number of vacancies will be selected for the interview in order of the highest scores with the minimum average score of 80.
|Curriculum vitae (CV), List of publications, Research plan (1 page), Two recommendation letters or more*, Consent to Collection and Use of Personal Information / Application for the IBS
|Expertise in their field, attitude and communication skills, presentation skills, excellence of their research, development potential and prospect, etc.
|Final candidates will be selected in order of the highest scores with the minimum average score of 80.
※ The procedure allows for a successful candidate and up to two additional waiting list candidates per opening in accordance with the scores
|There can be additional required documents according to the situation at the center
Application Submission and Deadline
- 〇 How to apply: Submit the documents below via e-mail at (email@example.com).
- List of publications
- One page of research plan
- Two reference letters or more*
- Consent to Collection and Use of Personal Information / Application for IBS (attached)
* References letters must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org from the writers and any letters from the applicants will not be accepted
- 〇 Deadline for application submission: January 26th 2024~February 29th 2024 (24:00) KST
※ E-mail Title : [2024-1 CENS] YYY←Applicant’s name
e.g., [2024-1 CENS]Hong Gil-dong
〇 The revised guidelines of the Ministry of Employment and Labor, and the Ministry of Economy and Finance (revision on 3 Nov. 2022, implementation on 1 Jan. 2024) have allowed a flexible application of the blind hiring policy to secure excellent researchers, thereby broadening the scope of information to be collected (e.g., academic background, schools, period spent on obtaining degrees, reference letters [including referees’ information] and experience). However, personal information that can identify the applicant (e.g., gender and age) is still not collected
- 〇 CENS, IBS is an Equal Opportunity or Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Any biased information will not be provided to committees at all.
- 〇 Applicants will be responsible for any consequences of making mistakes, missing information or not submitting required documentation in their applications. If any information is found to be incorrect or false, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 Submitted documents may be returned when a request is made within three months from the announcement of the final result in accordance with Article 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- 〇 If candidates are disqualified due to a background check or a physical examination result, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 If candidates are found to be former public officials dismissed for corruption as set forth in Article 82 of the Act on the Prevention of Corruption and the Establishment of the Anti-corruption and Civil Rights Commission, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 No applicants may be hired if there are no applicants deemed qualified during the screening process.
- 〇 Successful candidates are expected to start on May 1st, 2024 (subject to change).
- 〇 Workplace: Center for Exotic Nuclear Studies, IBS HQ, Daejeon
- 〇 Inquiries: Recruiting Manager of CENS
(Tel: +82 42-878-8122, E-mail : email@example.com)