Call for Applications for Associate Director Positions of “Center for Neuroscience Imaging Research” in the Institute for Basic Science (IBS)
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a government-funded research institute founded in November 2011 with the purpose of driving forward the development of basic science in South Korea through large-scale, long-term, group research. IBS is currently operating Research Centers in mathematics, physics, chemistry, life sciences, Earth science and interdisciplinary sciences.
IBS invites applicants for the position of Associate Director who are junior to senior-level researchers with high research potentials, and are able to run his or her own research group in collaboration with the directors within their Research Centers.
1. Introduction of the research center
- Center for Neuroscience Research Imaging (CNIR) was founded as an extramural IBS research center at Sungkyunkwan University on July 1, 2013 to build a world-class imaging-based neuroscience research center. The center is directed by Dr. Seong-Gi Kim and aims to create an integrative, innovative, imaging-based brain research program based on high-tech neuroimaging methods and multi-disciplinary collaborations for i) developing innovative neuroimaging methodologies for elucidating the functional neural causality and connectivity, ii) understanding the neural circuits of animal and human behaviors and their underlying physiological and computational principles, and iii) developing imaging-based biomarkers of brain dysfunctions for early diagnosis and treatments. The overarching goal is to combine method developments, neurobiology, and cognitive computational neuroscience synergistically and to integrate findings from different species (mouse, non-human primate, and human) and different scales (cellular to whole-brain) for elucidating systems-level neural mechanisms of cognitive and affective behaviors.
- For more information, please visit https://cnir.ibs.re.kr
2. Job description
- An associate director will serve important roles in assisting the center director to achieve the goal of the research center as well as directing his or her own research group within the center. The specific field of research solicited for associate director is human functional brain mapping with an emphasis on the computational and translational neuroimaging.
- Applicants should have a strong record of scholarly achievement at the national and international level (e.g., the number of citations), and evidence of collaboration and leadership ability in his/her research field.
- The candidates must have experience managing a well-established research program and staff within an academic institution (or equivalent agency responsible for research) and be able to articulate a strong vision to further the research and outreach programs in IBS.
- The successful candidates should be able to acquire a tenure-track professor position at the Sungkyunkwan University.
3. Requirements for the position
- The candidate must be able to commit himself/herself completely in the long-term to IBS research activities.
- The candidate must be able to manage their respective research group in collaboration with the director of the Center.
- The candidate should be recognized as one of rising stars or leaders in the international community of his or her research field.
- The candidate must be fluent enough with the relevant scientific and policy issues to be a highly credible representative of the Center among audiences ranging from the general public to the uppermost levels of scientists and policymakers. The position calls for vision, breadth, and good judgment; proven intellectual leadership skills; a keen sense of public policy, as well as demonstrated financial and staff management experience.
- Authority to run his/her own research team.
- Sizable independent research budget (the successful candidate may negotiate with the director of the Center to finalize the size of his/her research budget and how to set up his/her budget account if necessary).
- Tenured or permanent position.
5. General Selection Procedure
① Recruitment of applicants by public advertisement
② Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
③ Symposium and in-depth interview by in-depth evaluation panel
④ Decision by the SEC(Selection & Evaluation Committee) about recommendation
⑤ Negotiation with director
⑥ Appointment by the president
6. Application Submission
- Fill out the application form in English and email it as a single PDF file to email@example.com no later than May 13th, 2022
- E-mail title needs to be “Applicant name_Center for Neuroscience Imaging Research”
[ Contact Information ]
· Research Center
Yubu Lee, Center for Neuoscience Imaging Research
· Evaluation Process
LEE Seunghyun, Research Evaluation Team
Division of Research Service
Institute for Basic Science
(34126) 55, Expo-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, Korea
* For more information, please visit IBS website (https://www.ibs.re.kr).
Application Form for IBS Associate Directorial Positions(2022)