Center for Van der Waals Quantum Solids
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a government-funded research institute founded in November 2011 with the purpose of driving forward the development of basic science in South Korea through large-scale, long-term, and group research. IBS is currently operating Research Centers in mathematics, physics, chemistry, life sciences, Earth science and interdisciplinary sciences.
IBS invites applicants for the position of Associate Director who are senior-level researchers with high research potentials, and are able to run his or her own research group in collaboration with the Director of the IBS Center for Van der Waals Quantum Solids.
1. Introduction of the research center
- Center for Van der Waals Quantum Solids is one of the newest IBS centers (established in February 2022) on fundamental materials physics, hosted at Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH) as an IBS Campus Center. The Center sets clear and specific research missions: (1) to create “novel vdW solids”, where their lattices are epitaxially molded in atomic precision by advanced epitaxy, and (2) to explore their potentials into new types of “vdW quantum circuitry”. A whole new avenue of these vdW quantum solids will be explored synergically among the director and associate directors by a one-team spirit.
- For more information, visit https://www.ibs.re.kr/vdwqs/
2. Job description
- Associate directors will play pivotal roles in assisting the founding director to achieve the goal of the
research center as well as directing his or her own research group within the center. The specific field of
research solicited for associate director is Josephson quantum devices and superconducting electronics based
on van der Waals heterostructures.
- Applicants should have a strong track record of research achievement with the international-level
recognition, and leadership ability in his/her research field.
- The candidates must have experience leading large research programs and managing a group in academic or
equivalent research institutions and be able to articulate an insightful vision to further the research and
outreach programs in IBS.
- The candidates must be able to deliver the impactful research outputs through strong driving forces and
leaderships within reasonable timeline.
- The successful candidates should be able to acquire full professor level positions at POSTECH.
3. Requirements for the position
- All candidates must be able to commit themselves completely in the long-term to IBS research activities.
- All candidates must be able to manage their respective research groups in collaboration with the director
- The candidate should be recognized as one of the leaders in the international community of his or her
- The associate director candidate should be proficient in dealing with audiences ranging from the general public to
the uppermost levels of scientists and policymakers regarding the relevant scientific and policy issues as a
highly credible representative of the center. The position calls for vision, insights, driving forces, and
good judgment; intellectual leadership skills; excellent communication skills; a keen sense of public and
scientific policy; financial and team management skills.
- Authority to run his/her own research team.
- Sizable independent research budget (the successful candidate may negotiate with the director of the Center
to finalize the size of his/her research budget and how to set up his/her budget account if necessary).
- Tenured or permanent position.
- Competitive salary that is negotiable.
5. General Selection Procedure
- ① Recruitment of applicants by public advertisement
- ② Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
- ③ Interview by in-depth evaluation panel
- ④ Decision by the Selection & Evaluation Committee (SEC) about recommendation
- ⑤ Negotiation with Director
- ⑥ Appointment by IBS President
6. Application Submission
- Fill out the application form in English and email it as a single PDF file to email@example.com no later than 21 June 2023(KST).
- E-mail title should include ‘Name of Applicant for Center for Van der Waals Quantum Solids’.
[ Contact Information ]
KIM Yeyoung, Center for Van der Waals Quantum Solids
KIM Seonhea, Research Evaluation Team
1. Application Form for IBS Associate Directorial Position (2023)
2. FAQ: Selection, Organization and Operation of IBS Associate Directorship (2023)