Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a government-funded research institute founded in November 2011 with the purpose of driving forward the development of basic science in South Korea through large-scale, long-term, and group research. IBS is currently operating Research Centers in mathematics, physics, chemistry, life sciences, Earth science and interdisciplinary sciences.
IBS invites applicants for the position of Associate Director who are senior-level researchers, a proven track record of pioneering research and having high potential for further pioneering breakthroughs, and is able to run his or her own research group in collaboration with the Director of the IBS CMCM that is located at UNIST.
1. Introduction of the research center
- The IBS Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials (CMCM) supports a talented international team of highly collaborative researchers that design, synthesize and study new forms of carbon and related materials, many of which have, are expected to have, exceptional physical and electronic properties. The center is located at the Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST), nestled in a beautiful area near the port cities of Ulsan and Busan with the famous Haeundae Beach. Ulsan is famous for its shipbuilding (Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd. (HHI)), automobile manufacturing (Hyundai Motor Company), and petrochemical and chemical industries (SK Energy, S-Oil, etc), and thus an ideal location to interface science with industry. Members and visitors of the CMCM enjoy an intellectually stimulating environment that fosters dynamic exchange within the center and abroad through its extensive, international network of research institutions and programs. UNIST is readily accessible via Gimhae International Airport (airport code: PUS, 50 min by car, 60 km on the highway) as well as Ulsan Airport (airport code: USN, 30 min by car, 20 km on a local road), and is about 10 minutes by taxi from the Ulsan high-speed train station (“Ulsan KTX Station).
- For more information, visit https://cmcm.ibs.re.kr/.
2. Job description
- The Associate Director serves a variety of important roles in assisting the founding director to achieve
the goals of the IBS-CMCM as well as directing his or her own research group within the center. The specific
field of research solicited for our new IBS CMCM Associate Director is: basic surface science through
nanospectroscopies including TERS, SERS, nano-IR, SHG, and others; and optical characterization of materials
in general including particles (nano, micro), thin films, and others.
- The applicant should have a strong record of scholarly achievement at the international level, a
significant record of securing external funding for interdisciplinary-based research and evidence of
leadership in his/her own research field.
- The candidates must have experience leading large research programs and managing a group in academic or
equivalent research institutions and be able to articulate an insightful vision to further the research and
outreach programs in IBS.
- The candidate must have experience managing a large research program and staff within an academic
institution (or equivalent agency (national laboratory, institutes, etc.) responsible for research) and be
able to articulate a strong vision to further the research and outreach programs in the IBS CMCM located at
- The successful candidates should be able to be “hired in” at a tenured full professor position at UNIST.
3. Requirements for the position
- All candidates must be able to commit themselves completely in the long-term to IBS research activities.
- All candidates must be able to manage their respective research groups in collaboration with the director
of the IBS CMCM in UNIST.
- The candidate should be recognized as one of the leaders in the international community of his or her own
- The candidate for this Associate Director position must be fluent enough with the relevant scientific and
policy issues to be a highly credible representative of the CMCM among audiences ranging from the general
public to the uppermost levels of scientists and policymakers. The position calls for vision, breadth, and
good judgment; proven intellectual leadership skills; a keen sense of public policy, as well as demonstrated
financial and staff management experience.
- Authority to run his/her own research team.
- Sizable independent research budget (the successful candidate may negotiate with the director of the CMCM
to finalize the size of his/her research budget and how to set up his/her budget account if necessary).
- Tenured or permanent position.
5. General Selection Procedure
- ① Recruitment of applicants by public advertisement
- ② Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
- ③ Interview by in-depth evaluation panel
- ④ Decision by the Selection & Evaluation Committee (SEC) about recommendation
- ⑤ Negotiation with Director
- ⑥ Appointment by IBS President
6. Application Submission
- Fill out the application form in English and email it as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 21 June 2023(KST).
- E-mail title should include the Name of the Applicant and “The IBS CMCM”.
[ Contact Information ]
YOON Jiyoung, Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials
KIM Seonhea, Research Evaluation Team
1. Application Form for IBS Associate Directorial Position (2023)
2. FAQ: Selection, Organization and Operation of IBS Associate Directorship (2023)